Tuesday, February 25, 2003

The Extra Day

== BlogFodder == Prompt : How you would fill an extra day in the week?

Beginning this year I have been on a four-day work schedule, four eight-hour days. In effect this gives me that extra day in the week. How do I spend it? Not exactly the way I had planned.

It's kind of like when you have the extra dollar in your pocket. Something always comes along to swipe it up.

I had big plans for that extra day. I was going to write a book. Really. I was. It was going to be that book that everyone keeps telling me I should write. As of this week I have now had the privilege of eight extra days. Have I even written the first paragraph? Heck no. Sentence? No. Word? No. Nothing. Not even a title. Nada.

So what have I been doing? I have slept in, taken long leisurely baths, taken care of all my doctor appointments except the dreaded dentist, gone to the movies, gone shopping, done some knitting, started on my tax returns, planned some red hat events, taken some long walks, cuddled the new grandson, eked out a few Witt Bits, and any other excuse to avoid sitting at that computer for one entire day just one day a week.

So maybe I'm not a writer. Maybe I'll never write a book. Maybe I need to look at my own priorities. With all this procrastination, I start to reflect on why I even feel so compelled to write a book. Well, it's because I have a story. But the real problem is, the story isn't over yet. One can’t have a story without a resolution and perhaps there is a fear that the resolution will appear before I’m ready to heed it

No comments: