Thursday, March 06, 2003

The Shrinking Fabric Conspiracy

== BlogFodder ==

A common misconception

If you buy size 8 clothes and they fit when you buy them and you don't gain or lose any weight, they should still fit. But it's not true. I worked my way down to a perfect size eight (okay I'm bragging a little) thanks to Weight Watchers. I bought a bunch of size 8 pants. They fit great when I bought them. But after a few launderings the pants got tighter. So I went shopping. Guess what? I still wear a comfortable size 8. My new theory is, the clothes gradually shrink with each trip through the washing machine. It's guaranteed consumerism built right into the fabric.

This morning I read that women's clothes are more expensive than men's clothes because the styles change so often which increases production costs. So for all you nonstylish men out there, here's what needs to be done to increase your consumerism. They need to make your clothes out of that shrinkable fabric too. You will then be forced to buy new pants every year and maybe the fashion conspirators will allow you a little style.

I just flashed on something else. The one pair of pants that I own that must be dry cleaned have not shrunk. Maybe the shrinkable fabric is really a conspiracy in support of our local dry cleaners. Since most men drop their pants at the dry cleaners, I say it's time to force them to drop their pants in the washing machine instead. Make mens pants out of the same bolts of washable fabric as the womens.

Men and women should share the consumerism burden with equal pricing rights. How about we pay per the ounce instead of per the sex? Our pants use less fabric, that should equal it all out. And, we could all be stylish.

No comments: