Friday, March 07, 2003

Procrastination

Some habits are difficult to give up. For at least 40 years I have used the morning newspaper as my breakfast placemat, lifting the cereal bowl, flipping pages, reading, eating, drinking coffee, all centered around the news of the day. There's just something about the satisfaction of feeling the paper, getting the daily dose of printers ink. Every cat I have ever owned has rallied in this morning ritual, challenging newspaper landscape rights.

Minnie usually stakes out her territory about the time I get to the comics section. But not this morning. Today Minnie plunked her 16 pounds of cat fluff smack in the middle of this article, Slackers finally get own special week, which appeared in the CC Times. No problem, I just waited until my second cup of coffee and brought up the article on the computer screen. It's not because I am a slacker, it's just that all of a sudden I am finding myself doing this procrastination thing and I needed to know.

But this is National Procrastination week, allowing all the punctually challenged people a chance to celebrate their procastination whether it is caused by fear of failure or task avoidance. It's also a time for reflection about the behavior. The article has lots of tips gleaned from Diana Delonzors book, "Never Be Late Again."

So what am I procrastinating about now?
Doing my taxes
Making an appointment with my dentist
Making an appointment for that annual boob smashing test
Having my car serviced
Writing last year's Christmas cards
Exercising
Weighing in at Weight Watchers
Writing my novel
Updating this to do list
etc, etc, etc

What am I going to do about it?
Maybe I'll join the 14,000 other members of the Procrastinator's Club of America, if they ever respond to my application request.

No comments: