Monday, May 05, 2003

The Weekend

A few days ago I wrote that May is my spur of the moment month. So, I did it again. I went away for a night on the spur of the moment. Saturday after I returned from my Red Hat Tea and Fashion Show I decided I was ready for an adventure.

The mountains were calling me, "go east, enjoy the snow, find your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow..." I took that to mean that I must gather a few necessities, get in my little red car, throw the chains in the trunk, and drive east over the Sierra's to find buckets of money at Tahoe.

It took very little convincing to get my husband to do the driving (did I ever mention he is a compulsive gambler?)... enabling me to knit half a sock on the way to Tahoe.

Snow? Yes there was snow. Luckily for us it did not stick to the pavement and we made it over the pass without chains. Good thing since I remembered half way to the mountains that the chains were really in the back of my husbands car.

Rainbows? Couldn't find one through the clouds.

Pots of Gold? Uncle Sam provided us with our tax refund check. We thought we could turn it into gold. Saturday night we were turning our pockets inside out having maxed out the daily atm withdrawal. So we retired to our luxurious room at Ceasar's (it was a bargain - it is off season, even on a Saturday night). Well, I retired, my husband mysteriously found another source of funds and went out for a couple more hours. He was severely chastized for that manuever. To get even, I withdrew a few more bucks from my own secret resources in the morning and made him follow me around while I fed a few machines (kind of like taking an alcoholic to a bar and not letting him drink!). I almost gave up but saw a new 3-way poker game. I put the last $20 bill in that machine and pressed the buttons to play 90 nickels at a time. I was down to the last pull when the Royal Flush, in hearts, made its appearance. Bells and whistles sounded and a crowd gathered... I walked away with 30,000 nickels and a W-2G (so Uncle Sam can get back some of that money).

No comments: