Thursday, May 29, 2003

Forever Amber

Kathleen Winsor, one of my favorite authors, died Monday. She's the author of my favorite book. At least I think it was my favorite book. Or could it just be the circumstances under which I read the book?

I found 'Forever Amber' on the family room bookshelf when I was about fourteen and Mom wouldn't let me read it. She said it was inappropriate for a young lady my age (well it was in the 60's). That only generated more interest so I snuck it off the shelf and read a bit of the 972 pages under the covers each night. I was so enthralled that I remember going to bed early each night just to get through another chapter.

This morning I read an article in the newspaper about 'Forever Amber' containing 70 references to sexual intercourse, 39 illegitimate pregnancies, seven abortions and 10 descriptions of women undressing in front of men. Funny thing is, I don't remember any of that. I remember the parts about the Great Fire of London and the Great Plague. I retrieved the book off my shelf this morning (yes, it's the same copy I read at age 14). Think I better take another look at all Amber St. Clare's lovers from Black Jack Mallard to King Charles II.

No comments: