Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Sewing

The sewing machine was oiled. Completely cleaned and oiled. I got the purple fabric, made the flapper dress pattern, cut out all 17 pieces and pinned it together.

The shoulder and side seams of the bodice went well in spite of the slightly slippery fabric and the tendency to ravel. The pattern didn't say anything about facing around the neck and since I remembered my home ec classes I knew it had to be done. I sewed some around the neck and then around the arm holes. First mistake. Can't turn the fabric if neck and arms are both sewn together. Rip out. Sew the facing on the neck. Sew seam binding on arm holes and turn in. Not too bad, just a few wrinkles, but they will be covered up by cape.

Skirt side seams are next. I smell something burning. The wheel won't turn on the machine. I put my knee to the pedal and smell more burning. Wow, I sure must be whipping through this fast! Then I see the sparks and smoke... the tiny little motor on the back of my 38 year old Kenmore was toast.

Frantically I call a local sewing machine repair shop. The lady on the other end says, "oh yeah, I have one of those old Kenmore's in the shop now, has been here for a couple of months, can't seem to find a new motor." I tell her I'll think about it.

The debate begins. Would it be worth it to go out and purchase a new machine just so I could complete this dress that looks like it may be a disaster? Would I use the machine ever again? Would it sit for another 38 years? Well, I start thinking about all the things I might want to do again someday. I used to make all my clothes. I made my kids clothes until they demanded shirts with alligators on them. I made my husbands shirts until he burst the buttons. I made gifts for all my friends: quilts, purses, tote bags, pillows, toys, placemats and toaster covers. I never did see any of these items in use. Would I ever do that again? Really?

I spent a couple hours on the Internet checking out machines. Some as low as $99, all plastic. Only the ones close to $1000 looked any good. I opted not to purchase a new machine. Instead I called my sister and asked to borrow her garage sale special which just happens to be a Kenmore a couple of years newer than mine. It worked. It even had the same metal bobbins as mine so I wouldn't have to rewind them. Trouble is, her machine has a foot pedal, not a knee pedal. I drove that pedal just about as good as the clutches I burned out trying to learn to drive a stick shift (note: I still can't drive one of those).

To make a long story short (you thought I'd never get to the end, right?), the dress has been completed except for all the hand sewing. It actually fits, sort of. All I have to do is roll the hems for the skirt, the big circular top cape, the large, and long skirt cape. Then I need to find some kind of bow to place on the back where the cape doesn't quite come together. I might have to add a little trim around the neckline since I found out that I should not have put that facing in after all because the neck cape took care of that problem.

Will I actually wear this dress??? October 4th is still a couple weeks away, perhaps I'll go shopping. But then again, I think I should save the money to repair the old machine just in case I get another opportunity... my grandson needs a Halloween costume and the store bought ones are so cheesy...

No comments: