Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Flapper Dress II

The purple flapper dress (that is what the pattern cover calls it) finished per the pattern instructions was just too plain. So I asked for advice. The suggestions were duct tape, staples & tape, layers of lace, and fringe. I went to three fabric stores looking for something appropriate. I opted for fringe. Found 4 inch lavender fringe at $5.95 per yard - times 10 yards - way too expensive. Gold looked too gaudy. Red would distract from the red hat. So I bought 2 inch black fringe $2.50 per yard. The fringe cost more than the fabric. The result: I think it now resembles something a cowgirl would wear to a country dance. Maybe I should consider buying red cowgirl boots and a cowgirl hat.



Oh, and about going to those three fabric stores. I ended up checking out the bead departments and buying more purple beads. I happened to see some fabric that reminds me of someone I know so of course I bought a couple of yards. He will have new boxer shorts soon. Also happened to see some fabric printed with roads, lakes and buildings that would make a perfect play mat for Baby J. Before I got to the measuring table I spotted the fleece aisle. Baby J would love that Curious George fabric, and it is so soft and snuggly. I juggled three bolts of fabric, while searching for matching thread, blanket ribbon, and elastic. The thought never crossed my mind that it would have been much easier to visit the measuring table first. Deducted another $72.99 from checkbook for debit card use. Plus, I don’t know how much it will cost to repair the old sewing machine, or if it is even repairable.

Other Notes:

Question of the Day: Why is it that when men go shopping for salad ingredients they forget the dressing?

Bumper stickers: We're staying together for the sake of the cats.

Observed: Caught a 63-year old friend being fitted for a toe ring. She was so embarrassed. Said she had always wanted a toe ring Told me not to tell anyone. I promised I wouldn’t.

Wondering: Should I get a toe ring? Would you tell on me?

No comments: