Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Having finished my Nanowrimo novel last November and, not wanting to let go of my contacts with some “over forty” comrades, I recently joined up with the Michigan Nanowrimo forum. I’ll admit I have not been very conscientious in keeping up with this group. Now I feel guilty. A couple of days ago I got a message that the person who started the forum died in a car wreck on New Years. How sad that I didn’t maintain my correspondence with this dear lady. It’s a strange emptiness I feel in this loss – the loss of a cyberspace friend – it might be cyberspace but she touched my life just the same.

Speaking of cyberspace, I emailed a friend recently and told her “Egaad, I am a Blogger.” She emailed back, “What is a Blogger? It’s not in my dictionary.” I tried to look it up in my Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary CD – it’s not there. I checked the references on Yahoo – it’s not there. Even the “Free Online Dictionary of Computing” and “Whatis?” websites had no definition. After further research I finally found this at www.webopedia.com :

BLOG Jargon. (n.) Short for Web log, a blog is a Web page that serves as a publicly-accessible personal journal for an individual. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.

I stand corrected. I am a web logger. Now I must go and do my daily updates to the other five blogs. Do you think I suffer from OCBD? (Obsessive Compulsive Blog Disorder)

No comments: