Tuesday, January 07, 2003

Excuses

Daily Prompt: The next time you skip a writing session, write five reasons for doing so. Now, write a sentence or two explaining why each excuse is not good enough.

1. The sun was out and it was a warm, beautiful day.
I tend to write on gloomy, rainy days and then the writing reflects an overcast, downright depressing mood. These days of glorious sunshine between the winter storms, need to be celebrated, cherished, and enjoyed but at the end of the day, when the sun sets, the inspiration and wonderful feelings need to be shared. It’s all about balance.

2. I didn’t want to sit at my computer.
Well I did find time to sit at the computer and check my email which took an unusually long time due to the fact that the DSL service seemed to be slower than the original modem days. Besides, sitting at the computer is not an excuse to avoid writing. Sharpen those pencils and bring out that old yellowed notebook. Better yet take the notebook, find a warm sunshiny place and write there.

3. I had no “alone” time.
This is a boundary excuse. Set a time to be alone. Make it known that I need a break. And in the event that the break doesn’t come, then share the activity. If it bores the people in my life, so be it. They will find something else to do and I’ll be alone.

4. I had too many errands to do.
It’s time to put off until tomorrow what doesn’t have to be accomplished today. Was it really that important to visit six stores just to find the perfect soup bowls because I decided I might want to make split pea soup this weekend?

5. I spent too much time updating my website.
This is the weakest excuse of all. First of all, why do this on a day when DSL service is so tweaked that I ended up signing on the old fashioned modem way? Who reads my web pages anyway?

No comments: