Sunday, January 19, 2003

A few days ago I mentioned that one of my cyberspace friends died in a car wreck. Now I find that there may be some discrepancy here. Apparently it is kind of a fad for internet people to "die" or "disappear" all in the interest of gaining attention. The members of this particular group became suspicious when no one responded to condolence offerings. Then the rumors started. There is no news article in the small town newspaper where this person supposedly lived and died, no obituary either. A person who shares the name with the "dead person" was the recipient of phone calls from nosy internet buddies of the "dead person". She claims her sister used her name but then again she claims to know nothing about her sisters death. Anyway this goes on and on with new rumors everyday in the "dead persons" forum further infuriorating the denizens of this clan.

The internet is full of deceptions. For me, my life plays out like a midnight soap opera. I have no need to do any more than slightly embellish true life experiences which may sound fictional at times but in no way do I intend to deceive anyone wishing to follow these episodes. Tune in or tune out. I hope I don't have to die or disappear to gain attention.

No comments: