Thursday, February 19, 2004

I feel sick...

Yesterday:

I feel like I'm going to puke. There's just no pretty way to say that. Here I am in Pilates Class, half way through the class. We are balancing on an exercise ball. On our stomachs.

I listen to the instructor, "make sure the ball is under your pubic bone, otherwise you will feel sick." I check. The ball is properly placed. I still feel sick.

"Now walk forward on your hands." I inch forward, the ball is under my thighs. I feel sicker.

"Rest there." Yeah sure. My arms are shaking. My lunch is in my throat.

"Okay, lift your right hand and place it further out." I tell myself it's all in my head. Breathe. Concentrate, lift the hand. The hand lifts then hits the floor two inches away with a loud slap. It echos through the silent room.

"Now the left hand." Okay. Finally I have inched my way out and the ball is under my shins. Sweat drips on the floor in front of me.

"Hold it there." I'm working vigorously to hold the food down. It's there. It's going to come up. No, no, concentrate, breathe.

"One thousand... three, one thousand... two, one thousand... one. Okay, walk back." At last it's over. I look at the floor sure that I'm going to implant my nose three feet from the ball. I wonder if I'll barf when it happens. I start to inch my way back, slowly. No that won't work. Must go fast. Can't balance. I give it one big heave ho and slide off the back of the ball. I look at my classmates as they slowly and with grace inch back, easing off the ball.

I did make it through the class. I didn't throw up. Got home. Went to bed. Woke up 12 hours later. Gosh I hurt today.

No comments: