Sunday, October 31, 2004

Noises in the Night

5 am: I hear a noise. Half asleep I figure it's the neighbors phone ringing. I turn over and go back to sleep.

5:15 am: The noise again. This time I recognize it as one of Little J's Sesame Street toys. I figure one of the cats jumped in the toy basket and set it off.

A few minutes later: The noise again. But both cats are sleeping on the foot of my bed. So I get up. Dig through the toy box and find the blinking toy. Hmmmm. I toss the toy onto the sofa and it retaliates with yet another cacophonic outburst.

I just get back in bed and it sounds again. I figure it will stop. No such luck. Every few minutes I hear that obnoxious calling. I'm tempted to put it out on the back deck to get even with the neighbor's dog yapping. But it's cold outside. So I settle back in bed with head under pillow and sleep sound until 9am.

9:00 am: I awaken to the sound again. Whoooopeeeee! Sounds like spaceship has landed in living room. On the way to the bathroom I see red and yellow lights flash across the room.

Ok I think. It's Halloween. The place is haunted. My imagination starts going in all directions. Ghosts. Goblins. Ghouls.

Then I remember. I remember how annoying it is when the smoke alarm batteries get weak and send out those whining reminders every so often. I can understand the necessity for these warnings on a smoke alarm. But on a toddler toy? Give me a break.

Happy Haunting Halloween to all!

No comments: