Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Sometimes You Just Don't Know

I was out walking today, enjoying the bright high noon sunshine with a good friend. She had to make a stop and suggested we meet in front of a certain store. I told her, "fine but if that guy with the ************ is sitting on the bench in front of the store, I'll go inside and wait for you. I can't stand him."

You know how once in a while there comes along a person that makes you feel uncomfortable? Someone who makes you cross the street just so you don't have to be near them? Someone that perhaps you are not sure why you don't like them but there's just something about them that bugs you? Maybe it's his voice, his eyes, or just the way he moves or dresses. Maybe it's his job. Well, I'm not sure why but there was something about this guy that just bothered me.

Anyway, he wasn't there today so I waited by the door.

A few minutes later my friend comes out the other door. She waves, "come here there's something I need to show you." Next to the other door, where that guy always sat, was a memorial, a pile of flowers, his photo and some carefully placed mementos. He died last Friday.

Now I'm feeling bad. Really bad. A lot of people liked him... a lot.

No comments: