Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Creatures in the Night

Wanda was all cuddled up next to me a couple nights ago, ready to sleep through the night, as she has been doing for the last week or so. Suddenly there was a thud on my pillow. Wanda leaped three feet into the air. I reached over to turn on the light just in time to see a giant hairy eight footed monster scurry under my blankets. As Wanda peered into the sheets, ready to pounce on it, perhaps in an attempt to valiantly redeem one of her lost lives, I flew out of bed, ripped back the covers and screamed. Wanda watched with perplexed amusement as I wadded the creature up into the sheets and raced out of the room to fetch hubby to remove the offending beast from my room.

The next morning I mercilessly sprayed the entire room with ant and spider killer. I put a double dose around each window and door frame. I now understood what my daughter in law meant about those bedskirts providing avenues for spiders to creep up under your covers. I considered removing the skirt until I remembered that my visitor had definitely dropped from the ceiling. I sprayed the heat ducts above my bed not giving thought to what the repercussions might be when the hot air hit the vents later that evening. Just for extra measure, I sprayed under the bed and doused the entire bed skirt.

This morning I awoke to find this creature in my bed. I’m a little grateful that it was dead but wondering if there are any surviving brothers and sisters. Note: Wanda did not sleep with me last night.


No comments: