Saturday, October 13, 2007

Acorn Wars


We have acorns. Acorns everywhere. More than I've seen in the 37 years I've lived in this house. Bouncing off the rooftop, pinging off the cars outside my bedroom window. We have two huge oak trees in our front yard. Yet somehow, the entire yard is covered with acorns. All the way down the steep driveway too. Every morning.

The cleanup is a humbling task at best. Try to rake them and they escape between the tines. Try to sweep them and the scatter in all directions. Bribe Little J to fill a basket for a lovely Halloween display and his interest wanes within three minutes.

Even the squirrels can't keep up and we have fat squirrels. So what do we do with all this fresh ripe oak fruit? Hubby suggested we show Little J how to eat acorns. I went searching for a recipe. This is one of the things I found. Interesting but if you venture down the page a bit, there is a rather ballsy picture of a nutty squirrel. Scary. Enter the site at your own risk.

By the way, I'm skipping the acorn pancakes. Not eating those fat squirrels either. I'd have to be nutz to do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an unusual problem. Especially if it hasn't happened before.

winter will soon be here, and that should help.

Cas