Saturday, October 11, 2003

The Package

I returned from the post office a few days ago with a huge package. Rusty and Minnie were on top of the bundle the moment I set it down. They haven't been as excited since the arrival of their veterinarian catnip toy icon of Dr. Gerry.

Thinking I could wait to open it after lunch, I headed to the kitchen. As soon as I was out of sight, the cats began to claw the package, with the viciousness of Roy's tiger. I came back into the living room. Rusty sat on top of the box, his statuistic stance of innocence. Minnie strutted around the package inspecting the damage. I gave in and brought out the scissors.

Four paws reached in to help remove the popcorn stuff, all over the rug naturally. Oh well, the cats were distracted enough so I could open the contents of the first box. I pulled out a six foot purple feather boa. Real cool, just what I needed to complete my flapper outfit. I hung it over the door to my bedroom. The cats were still distracted by the popcorn stuff.

Back to the package. I pulled out the next treasure, an 18" long narrow box. I shook it a bit. Rusty looked at me. Minnie looked at me. I opened the box. You would think the cats were in heat by the sound of the howls as I pulled out this most perfect Red Hat icon:




I placed her on top of my desk and stood back to admire. Minnie leaped up and sniffed at her, Rusty jumped up on the other side. Before I could grab her, Minnie and Rusty started a game of tug of war with the boa. Minnie knocked my precious icon to the floor. I ran to the rescue, picked up the icon, checked her for injuries and ruffled up her boa. Then I started the parade around the apartment looking for a place to put her as a precaution against future feline attacks. Minnie and Rusty pied pipered their way behind me, emitting the most horrific yeowls. I wanted her to be on display, in a prominent place. I eyed my husband's I Magnin Stief bear in its glass doll case. Perfect. It's a bit crowded with the two of them in there but it's just temporary until I find a more appropriate environment for her majesty.

Later that evening... while relaxing in my favorite chair, I heard the a thump from the direction of my bedroom, the banging of a door knob against the wall, followed by claws screeching along a hollow door. Minnie ran into the living room, purple feather boa trailing behind her with Rusty on the chase.

In the middle of the night... something woke me up, a sense that something was amiss. I looked around the room in the dim light. There was Rusty perched on top of the glass case, salivating, plotting...

P.S. I need a name for my Red Hat Cat - any suggestions?

No comments: