Thursday, October 16, 2003

Casserole Recipe - try at your own risk

My uncle gave me this recipe and insists that it is the absolute best casserole ever. Enjoy it or read my notes below.

-------------

Chicken Divan

4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
4 cups broccoli florets, cooked
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp curry powder
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a bowl, mix the soup, mayo, and curry and set aside.
Butter the bottom and sides of a 13x9 casserole dish. Arranged the cooked broccoli as the first layer in the dish. Top that off with the cooked chicken pieces. Spoon soup mixture evenly over chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle cheese over entire casserole and bake @ 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with steamed rice.

------------
My Notes:

I seem to recall making this years ago, well before I had to started watching my cholesterol. When I first saw this recipe resurface, I decided to take another look at it. According to my calculations weight watchers points come in around 92 for the entire casserole. I assume it serves 8. Is it worth almost 12 points per serving? You decide.

P.S. At my current weight, I am allowed 20 points per day. I'll be the one eating plain old broiled chicken and broccoli.

No comments: