Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 Reflections

It's hard to believe that this blog is now 5 years old. In reviewing the last five Decembers I find that only in the first year did I manage to write anything on December 31st. I thought it a bit odd since the year end is an obvious time for reflection. Back in 2002 when I started this blog, I wasn't sure where it would lead to and in fact I'm still not sure. It's taken turns in all sorts of unexpected directions, following a life of equally unexpected turns. Sad, happy, angry, joyous... it's pretty much all there. I've never gone back and deleted any entries. We can't erase life, although we may choose to hide certain elements. So, I leave what was written in tact with the hopes that anyone who might dig into this journal of sorts will understand that everything was written as I felt it needed to be expressed at the time. Things change. I know not to regret the past and to always hope for the best future.

So what did 2007 bring?
  • January: I rang in the year with the best of friends, listening to the best live music ever. I continue to carry the music with me through all good times and sad times.
  • February: Little J turned four on Valentines Day. Big J turned 33 on Ground Hogs Day. I see the bonds between father and son and am thankful we can provide a safe meeting place for them.
  • March: Our annual Snow Train trip to Reno. On the way back, just after we passed over a trestle near Sacramento it went up in flames. We are thankful we made our trip in safety.
  • April: It seems that birthdays often trigger the need to bring some new things into life. This year, it was line dancing. I continue to struggle with the movements, knowing it keeps my mind sharp but realizing that my body doesn't necessarily conform to the rhythm. I accept my limitations and just do the best I can.
  • May: Mothers Day was a day of ultimate joy as we were able to bring my dearest friend out to hear Tom Rigney one last time.
  • June: A time letting go as my dear friend, Micky, passed away. We may have only shared a small slice of our lives together but this short friendship was my most profound friendship. More than ever, I realize the value of true friendship. She will always be a part of my soul.
  • June: The cat named Wanda arrived to fill our house with mischievious maneuverings, delight, laughter, lots of trouble and a few tender moments.
  • July: We visited our youngest son's family in Las Vegas. It was a good visit with a bittersweet end... our son and his wife divorced shortly after that.
  • August: The legal guardianship of Little J was finalized. It's a challenge to bring up a little one at our age, but we feel blessed that we have this precious child in our care.
  • September: We cruised to Alaska. Hubby had a few shipboard duties in his role as tour guide for Key Holidays. Little J had the time of his life with the Princess Pelicans. It was a wonderful 10 day retreat.
  • October: Halloween brought out monsters under Little J's bed and creatures in grandmas bed. With a bottle of Monster Spray and a can of Spiders Be Gone... poof they disappeared!
  • November and into December: Closing one month and bringing on the last month of the year with a Palm Springs Red Hat convention. The Red Hat Society continues to be a big part of my life - bonds with new friends, travel adventures, fun and escape.

And so another year ends and we look to the new year... we make plans, anticipate the joy and prepare for some sadness. All will be well.

Wishing for the Happiest New Year to All.

No comments: