Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Chain Letters not Make A Wish

I do not respond to chain letters, whether they are letters or email. My first reaction if by email is delete-delete-delete. And of course if by letter, which is rare these days, it's straight to the recycle bin. It's not worth my time, or effort, to figure out what is real. HOWEVER, I couldn't resist the one that came my way today. Somewhere buried behind years of brain cell rejuvenation one tiny cell lingered just long enough that contained the name Craig Sheppard. So when the chain letter requesting business cards be sent to Craig came across my desk, my first thought was... this has to have been going around for at least 20 years. I dutifully went to www.snopes.com , searched for Make-A-Wish, and sure enough there it was. I did fax the article back to the sender of the chain letter urging him to check this out. Moments later the phone rang and my well intentioned friend expressed deepest apologies and as well as regret that his "good feeling about doing something so special" was nothing but an urban legend. Well maybe not all is lost - I like to think that some people may find their way to the Make-A-Wish Foundation and actually make a legitimate contribution. Here's my suggestion: Instead of forwarding the letter to 20 people, how about sending the $7.80 you will save in postage money to...

No comments: