Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Bay to Breakers

Did you see me Sunday in the Bay to Breakers? I was there with my Red Hat Society ladies. In my red shorts, purple t-shirt, purple bra, red lacy socks, and red hat.

I walked, or should I say sauntered, 24,583 steps along with 59,999+/- other participants, burning a mere 450 calories while consuming twice that many calories in free power bar bits, rice crackers, no-carb bars, and cheerios. I skipped the oozy gel stuff and vitamin water that was guaranteed to re-energize my tired body.

I blew up purple balloons to pass around my group of ladies while dodging flying tortillas and other unmentionable airborne items at the start line.

Just a little of what I observed: ?ladies? with balloon butts and boobs, Naked men yelling, “it’s ok, you can touch it if you want.”, 80+/- year old nudist couple, Naked ladies with flamingos on their heads (future red hatters?), Upside down people guzzling kegged beer, Lesbian and gay brides and grooms, Miss Kitty with pink umbrella, Orange, red, green, and blue painted bodies, T-shirt – Say no to bush and dick, Lobsters, Grass skirts, coconut bras, see through underwear, Elvis, Elvis and Elvis.

The “goods” outweighed the “bads”
Bad: the broken down charter bus
Good: BART was free from Lafayette
Good: the bus driver showed up to pick us up at other end
Bad: the person who threw a soccer ball and almost knocked out one of my friends
Good: the young man who offered to stay with my friend if she needed help
Bad: energy stuff consumed during race
Good: Luau feast of roast pig, roast corn, and double dipped chocolate/caramel apples
Bad: Having to buy frozen peas for friend who fell after the race
Good: we all crossed the finish line
Good: we had perfect weather

Will I do it again? Let’s see, I ran the race 22 years ago, I walked it this year, if I wait another 22 years maybe someone will push my wheelchair.

No comments: