Friday, March 14, 2003

Anniversaries

My one sided conversation this morning.
"Good morning" (as husband sits down at table opposite me)
"Nice day huh?" (looking out window at threatening rain skies)
"Coffee?" (I think I heard a grunt indicating a possible yes response)
"Know what day it is?" (handing him a cup of coffee with milk)
"It's Friday." (no response)
"March 14th." (no response)
"Ahem." (I point to calendar on wall - he looks up at it)
"you know, March 14th? Does that mean anything? Like it's our anniversary?"

Finally I get a response. Something to the effect of "oh sh*t, I thought it was next week."

It's only been 33 years. Which reminds me of last year's celebration. We went to a local restaurant. About the time for dessert the waitress comes back to the table, "Room for dessert?" she asks.
"Well I guess since it's our anniversary, we should celebrate with a little dessert," I say.
"Cool, how many years?" she asks.
"32 years."
"Wow that's really something these days. How do you do it?" she asks.
"Easy - we don't live together."
The look on the waitress's face was priceless.

And so here we are, another year. We live together now. We made it through a lot of rough spots. What more can I say? I should mention that my husband truly is a caring guy who puts up with a lot. It probably wasn't fair for me to expect him to remember the date before he had his morning coffee. But by dinner time tonight I expect...

No comments: