Monday, March 07, 2005

Reading and Knitting

This month Anne Lamott's new, "Plan B" will be released. One of her other collections of essays, "Traveling Mercies", is near the top of my all time favorites. In more than one place I have seen this book referred to as "Tender Mercies." Wonder what she thinks about that. Maybe I'll find out if I catch one of her venues coming up in the bay area. I've heard her speak before... she's entertaining, witty and shares plenty of wisdom about everyday, and not so everyday, life adventures. Sample some of her writing at www.salon.com.

Considering my current addiction to knitting, I should have known better when I turned into my local yarn store. I should have known I wouldn't leave there without a back full yarn balls and other miscellaneous stuff. I should have left my bank card at home. But it's too late for that now. The raglan sweater in shades of blue and purple luxurious ($$$$) merino wool/silk yarn is already on my new Denise circular needles (of course I bought the whole set plus an extension). Oh well, won't be shopping for yarn for quite some time... this project will take months... maybe.

The yarn store was busy, full of rainy day shoppers filling up baskets bigger than mine. The clerks were scurrying like crazy to keep up with the crowd. So I figured the least I could do would be to offer to wind my own yarn. They showed me how to do it. It looked easy. Half way into the first hank, there was this loud clack, clack, clack and the crank got harder and harder to turn. A couple more turns and the clerk comes running over. It seems the yarn tail wound itself around the bottom of the spindle creating this twisted up mess that took three of us to undo. I doubt that I'll be left on my own with their baller again. I wonder if I'll be allowed in the store again.

No comments: