Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Purple DisDress Continued

So here I am packing for the Snow Train trip to Reno. My suitcase is full of purple clothes and a couple of red hats. I haven't had time to iron so at the suggestion of one of my friends, I toss the below mentioned dress into the suitcase to iron at the hotel. You know how it is when you hand wash something and wring it out right? It kind of comes out like one of those krinkled skirts.

A bit later... at the hotel. I pull the dress out of the suitcase and hang it, thinking perhaps the wrinkles might fall out. Hah.

In the morning, I open the closet door and there it is, still more wrinkled than my high school gym suit. But, the hotel room comes with an iron. I don't iron more than a couple of times a year. I refuse. It's easier just to go out and buy new clothes.

The ironing board screeches as I pry the legs away from the frame. There's a knock on the door. "Housekeeping." I tell them to go away. Don't come back. Maybe I should have invited them in the iron my dress. But no, I'm determined that I can handle this. I plug the iron in and it sputters. I fill the tiny dispenser with water from the bathroom glass. The iron sputters more as water trickles down the side and over onto the board.

Somehow I remembered the advice of Mom that when you iron a dark item, you iron it inside out. So, I place the dress inside out on the board. I lay the iron smack dab in the middle of the front of the dress, steam hissing out all over the place. I lift up the iron. There is the imprint of the iron at least three shades lighter than the surrounding fabric. So I check the other side of the fabric. Hmmm, seems to be an identical imprint on the right side as well.

There's only one way to resolve this mess, other than going out and trying to find another purple garment before lunch and not much chance for success in the retail market in downtown Reno. So I proceed to iron the rest of the dress, careful to hit every square inch so it will all match.

Satisfied that I had covered every detail, I turned the dress right side out. The result is sort of a marbled effect.

Okay, one last effort.... I iron every square inch with the dress right side out. Sorry Mom. It's passable. There's just a bit of dark area around the seams. And if I place a scarf in just the right places it will distract from those areas that are creased into my brain membranes.

No one noticed. Of at least they didn't say anything. You'll have to check the RHS Molls website if your interested.

No comments: